Sunday, May 8, 2011

I Love ......

...............................................................steamed pomfret.

It's a simple dish but I steamed it on a family occasion. There's a few reason why the dish becomes very significant dish to me.
  • When I was young, my mom cooked the pomfret dish only during the fasting month, Ramadhan Mubarak. So, when I look at the fish I feel that it was fasting month.
  • The fish is very costly. My mom will make sure every family member will get one pomfret. She fork out some from her saving just to have a pomfret for every plate on the table. Me?? One pomfret for four people. HAHAHAAA... Not because I can't afford to have one pomfret for one person. I am trying to instill the sharing and appreciation values among us. Off Course, Both ways (my mom and me) represent and potray the high appreciation values in our cooking. I always remember how my mom had lavish parties on our table during the fasting month. How I miss that..!!

To steam the pomfret you need to have:
  1. Fresh Pomfret
  2. Young ginger
  3. Garlic
  4. Coriander leave
  5. Salt and pepper
  6. Tomato (optional)
  7. Carrot (optional)
  8. A steamer / A Microwave
Malaysian named this fish Ikan Bawal Putih
Bruneian named this fish Ikan Duai = BND25/kg


No comments:

Post a Comment